We use cookies
to help provide you with a good experience on our website. By continuing to browse the website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Romgaz buys half of Black Sea deep-water gas project

BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS

Romgaz buys half of Black Sea deep-water gas project

Romanian natural gas producer Romgaz said it has reached an agreement for the acquisition of the 50% stake that ExxonMobil holds in Black Sea offshore project Neptun Deep and expects to close the transaction in the first quarter of 2022. - SeeNews

As part of the agreement, Romgaz is buying 100% of ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Romania Holdings (EMEPRL), it said in a statement filed with the Bucharest Stock Exchange on Tuesday.

EMEPRL holds half of the rights and obligations under the concession agreement for petroleum exploration, development and production in XIX Neptun Deep Block, the other half is held by Romanian oil and gas group OMV Petrom.

This agreement will be signed after it is endorsed by the Romgaz board of directors and approved by the company's extraordinary general shareholders meeting.

In June, Romgaz signed an exclusivity agreement related to the negotiations for the acquisition, after submitted a binding offer in April.

Also in April, OMV Petrom said that if ExxonMobil accepts the offer submitted by Romgaz, it will join in the project as operator.

At the beginning of October, Romgaz announced it is seeking a 1.6 billion lei ($375 million/ 323 million euro) bank credit to finance the dea and cover its current working capital needs.

OMV Petrom entered a joint venture with ExxonMobil for exploration of the Neptun Block in 2008. The block covers an area of some 7,500 square kilometers in water depths ranging from 100 to 1,700 meters, according to information posted on OMV Petrom's website.

Neptun Deep would be the second offshore gas project in the Black Sea, in which Romgaz would have a participation if it buys a stake in it. Romgaz already holds 12.2% interest in offshore joint venture exploration perimeter EX Trident, according to information available on the company's website. Lukoil Overseas Atash BV, a subsidiary of Russia's Lukoil, holds the remaining 87.8% interest.

Romgaz shares traded 1.99% higher at 38.5 lei on the Bucharest Stock Exchange as at 0948 CET on Wednesday.

OMV Petrom's shares changed hands 0.51% higher at 0.49 lei as at 0945 CET on Wednesday.

Relevant news

BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS
Romgaz-ExxonMobil deal delayed until ownership details are settled
Romgaz and Exxonmobil is temporarily blocked due to a controversy over the fact that the license to operate in the Black Sea is held by the American company.
BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS
Romania will start extracting gas from Black Sea in 2026, minister says
Romania could become almost energy independent when Romgaz and OMV Petrom extract the first barrels of natural gas from the Black Sea.
BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS
Saipem lands offshore contracts totalling $600 million
Saipem has secured two offshore transportation and installation contracts.
GO NET ZERO ENERGY
Oil major Eni to acquire 20% stake in Dogger Bank C offshore wind farm
Deal for Eni to buy into Equinor and SSE Renewables' 1.2GW UK offshore wind farm due to close in Q1 2022
BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS
ExxonMobil prolongs exclusive negotiations with Romgaz for Neptun Deep
Romgaz announced the extension of the exclusivity agreement related of ExxonMobil Exploration in the Neptun Deep offshore natural gas perimeter in the Black Sea.
BLACK SEA
OIL & GAS
Romgaz sees 30% profit increase in second quarter
Romanian, reported a net profit of almost RON 300 mln in the second quarter of this year.